How long should a college essay be? What are the components of a college essay? These are the common questions asked by students writing their essays for the first time.
Although a college-level essay might seem complicated at first, it is easier to handle after you’ve mastered its structure and approaches to manage it with ease. This article will guide you on the college essay outline and offer various tips you need to ace your college essay.
College essay format
Alike other academic assignments, the college essay comprises an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. The introduction contains the hook, a thesis statement, and a transition to your first claim.
The body investigates your ideas further building up to your conclusion. An essay body may include chapters such as the literature review, methods, results, and discussion section. Claims in the body should take their paragraph followed by supporting sentences that validate your claim.
The conclusion summarizes your work, showing how your essay objectives have been realized in your argument.
How long is a college essay?
The length of a college essay depends on your tutor’s instructions and the complexity of the essay question. A standard college essay ranges between five and ten pages.
When the word count has been specified, keep your work within ten percent of the paper to avoid penalization. The references and title page do not add to your final tally. If your essay exceeds the word count, cut out the filler words to fall back within the word count without compromising your argument.
Also, select a specific paper within your topic to exhaust your argument within the stipulated word count.
How to start a college essay
The introduction of your essay is a key part that determines the impact you make on your tutor. A boring introduction might paint a negative image of your work, inspiring a negative attitude in your reader.
Conversely, a captivating introduction motivates your reader to go over your argument while paying focus on various elements of your paper. Some of the best ways to start your college essay include:
- Rhetorical questions – when using rhetorical questions to start your essay, employ questions that guide your reader to your standpoint or those which challenge the counterclaims to your topic.
- Stating an interesting fact – another common method to start your essay is by stating a jaw-dropping fact that gets your reader curious to establish its correctness.
- Reveal a secret related to your topic – when writing narrative essays, you could start by telling a secret to evoke a particular emotion from your reader. This hook leads your reader to read your work in a bid to investigate the motivation behind your claim.
How to write a killer college essay: tips for writing a college essay
- Start with the body of your essay as opposed to the introduction. This approach will allow you to capture the entirety of your essay and better define what your paper entails.
- Select a topic that evokes your interest. This interest will offer impetus to handle your work in a bid to satisfy your curiosity.
- Avoid filler words and unnecessary jargon in your essay as this might obfuscate the meaning you intend to pass. If necessary, use the words that you have encountered in the course of your semester as your tutor is well familiar with these words.
- Maintain your paper within 10% of the prescribed word count to avoid various penalties.
- Find a conducive environment for writing your work and eliminate various distractions that may compromise your focus in various sessions.
When should I start writing my college essay?
We recommend that you start working on your essay as soon as you receive the assignment. Doing this allows you to comfortably cover research and analyze various perspectives of your paper.
Chunk your work into phases and set deadlines for each section. This approach will help you to overcome procrastination and to meet your set deadlines.